Thursday, March 6, 2014

Don’t major on the minor


But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Mom, can I have ice cream before I got to bed?  Is this ideal?  Nope.  But is my kid asking first?  Being polite?  Mostly eating a good dinner.  Yes.  Who cares, it’s not the end of the world.  Is my husband doing exactly what I want him to do at the exact right time? Generally, no.  But is he at work every day, being a good dad to our kids and always around.  Then I have nothing to complain about.  Is my house clean.  Absolutely not.  But is my family together under one roof, spending time together and healthy?  Yes.  Who cares about the house? 

In the scope of life, you can’t waste energy on things that are just peripheral items.  It would be like worrying about your little toe instead of your heart, it just doesn't make sense.  The next time you are upset about something, take a step back and determine if it’s worth the energy to be upset about it.

There are so many things I just let go these days, that previously they would have been a really big deal.   I try hard to look at each situation in the context of what really matters.

Our life consists of moments that we can’t take back.  As you consider a situation and feel frustrated by it, imagine that you didn't have the situation to be frustrated by.  For example, you are frustrated by your job:  Imagine getting fired and then you didn't have THAT to get frustrated with.  When you are upset with a person in your life just think about what it would be like if that person was not in your life. 


The mind is a very powerful thing and controls everything we do (duh), so as it controls us in a negative way, it can control us in a positive way as well.  It’s all up to us and our perspective.  Don’t major on the minor; keep your thoughts on the stuff in life that really matters.

Dear Lord, as I go through the day, help me to keep my priorities where they should be.  Help me to understand that certain things just aren't worth worrying about.